Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

progesterone in oil shots

JandRVAJandRVA Posts: 298
edited August 2016 in Pregnancy and Babies
After our last appointment with the OB, it looks like we'll be starting the PPRoM protocol in about 2.5 weeks (cervical length monitoring and weekly progesterone in oil shots). While I had to give myself the ovidrel injections, neither my wife nor I have ever had to administer a shot like the PIO. We've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube to try to prepare ourselves for it but I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to administer (or how to not administer it). Any help would be much appreciated.
LKkRm4.png

Trying for Baby #2: 4th IUI June 2016 - BFP!
Sweet little Rose was born on Feb 25th
Baby #1: Lucky #7 July 2015 - BFP
Our little girl, Hope, was born at 20w4d after PPRoM. She passed away 2 hours after birth.

Comments

• Options
    hopeful2014hopeful2014 Posts: 428
    edited November -1
    My mom gave me my PIO shots until 11 weeks. I think it would be a lot easier if your wife is willing to administer rather than you trying to do it yourself. I iced for 3-5 minutes, then she did the shot and then I held a hearing pad to the site for about 10 minutes. I never had any issues with excessive soreness or knots.

I also looked at a diagram that showed the best location to do it and drew circles on myself to make sure all injections were done in the right spot. I had read that makes a big difference pain-wise.

I liked this video - http://youtu.be/A-EY_4P67Hs

Good luck!!
    35 years old - SMBC * 3 ICIs, 6 IUIs, 1 ectopic, 1 chemical, blocked left tube.
    Lucky #10 - IVF!
    Two sweet baby girls (IVF 2015, FET 2017)
  • Options
    hopeful2014hopeful2014 Posts: 428
    edited November -1
    Oh and I also tucked the vial of PIO in my bra for a few minutes to warm the oil and thin it out a bit.
    35 years old - SMBC * 3 ICIs, 6 IUIs, 1 ectopic, 1 chemical, blocked left tube.
    Lucky #10 - IVF!
    Two sweet baby girls (IVF 2015, FET 2017)
  • Options
    grovehill123grovehill123 Posts: 404
    edited November -1
    I have done 4 cycles with progesterone shots. I have done them myself. You pull the oil through a different sharp then inject with another one. Make sure you inject high up , the following is a good diagram. I went for 9 wks last cycle injecting , didn't get bruising, key is to move after your injections, some are sensitive to the oil however. Her is a good map of where to inject : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157366346505626&set=p.10157366346505626&type=3&theater
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    Switch sides every injection. If you're only doing it once a week the chance of bruising is pretty small anyway, but it never hurts to take precautions! Ice the injection site beforehand and use a heatpack afterwards. Shift your weight so that all your weight is on the side that isn't being injected so the muscle isn't tense. It really isn't as bad as it looks. Most of the time I couldn't even tell that my husband had stuck the needle in!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    JandRVAJandRVA Posts: 298
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! It looks like we'll be getting the medication delivered by the middle of next week and the first injection will be next Friday. I'm starting to get nervous. My wife has been watching videos on YouTube for the proper placement so hopefully she'll feel comfortable by go-time.
    LKkRm4.png

Trying for Baby #2: 4th IUI June 2016 - BFP!
    Sweet little Rose was born on Feb 25th
    Baby #1: Lucky #7 July 2015 - BFP
    Our little girl, Hope, was born at 20w4d after PPRoM. She passed away 2 hours after birth.
  • Options
    TurtlehartTurtlehart Posts: 834
    edited November -1
    This may sound silly, but when I was having to get them, my wife would inject and I would sing a song while she did. It helped distract me.
    Make sure you change needles after drawing up the oil. Needles dull slightly once the go through the rubber stopper on vial. A new needle is much sharper, and less painful when going into skin.
    Our sweet boy has arrived after TTC'ing for 4 years!