Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Progesterone suppositories?

katookatoo Posts: 324
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
After two early losses, my RE agreed to put me on progesterone. (The RE thinks progesterone supplementation is pointless, but they're humoring me.) The nurse told me it was going to be a specific cakey vaginal insert, but when I picked it up they were pink liquigels. The bottle said, "insert vaginally," so I figured the pharmacist knew what he/she was doing. They seemed to work, they dissolved each night, I got pregnant... I just picked up my first refill, and this time the pharmacist pulled me aside and asked if I was using them vaginally because people normally take this progesterone orally! So, have any of you used oral progesterone vaginally? Did it work? Should I call my RE and tell them that they're giving me the wrong stuff?

Comments

• Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I use it vaginally...as prescribed by my dr. I used to use those suppositories that the pharmacist had to make...kind of waxy inserts...they were super expensive and had to be kept refrigerated. My insurance pays for these and would not the other ones. My dr. accidently ordered these once and the pharmacist said they were the same thing...same drug at same dose... I get the same side effects as I had with the other ones. I need to use them since I am older since I need a boost of progesterone to have any chance of carrying a baby. But so far neither kind hasn't prevented a miscarriage for me. At least one other mom on here did take the liquigels orally and I know they had a successful pregnancy.
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I use it both ways but mine are cream colored. I cannot do all vaginally cause Im prone to yeast from the slightest ph changes.
    via mouth I feel drunk so I can only take at night, vaginally I have no symptoms other than wetness and leaking
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I'm going to keep on keeping on and use them vaginally.