Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

At home ICI.. when to move on to something else?

braciecomeauxbraciecomeaux Posts: 45
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I attempted my first at home insemination last month. It wasn't successful. How many tries at home before you got your BFP? I'm thinking I want to try one more time and then maybe move on to a doctor. Any advice on what you did to get your bfp is also welcomed. Thank you!
TTC #1: 1 ICI vial 1/19-BFN
#2: ICI 2/14 and 2/15-BFP!

Comments

• Options
    2HopefulMommies2HopefulMommies Posts: 172
    edited November -1
    I don't have any good information for you, as we just did our first ICI this month and are in our TWW.

What did you try last month? How many vials, timing, etc? Are you taking any supplements?

I believe our "timeline" is try 3-4 times with my wife, and then reevaluate and either seek assistance through a doctor or switch and try with me.

What donor did you use?
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did 4 at-home ICI cycles before starting with a fertility clinic. My 2nd RE-assisted IUI was the lucky one that resulted in my daughter (who is now 2 years old).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had one vial of donor 141p. I did it at 18 hours past positive Opk. I used first response digital opk kit and then made sure with a wondfo. I'm taking prenatal vitamins. I ovulated about 10 hours after I insemed. I knew I was ovulating because I had ovulation pains. Maybe I did it too late? Too soon? I'm not sure. I thought I got the timing pretty good but I guess not. I'm thinking I might try 2 vials next time and then if it doesn't work, move on to IUI.
  • Options
    yogibabyyogibaby Posts: 122
    edited November -1
    It is a hard to tell because there are so many variables (anatomy, cervical mucus, follicle size, hormones, sperm, possible immune issues).
    I imagine your timing was fine in my mind. The fasted swimmers they say can get there in 45 minutes the slower ones take hours at 12 hours supposedly ICI lose potency.
    I did acupuncture before my inseminations, juicing fresh vegetables for extra nutrients, and yoga.
    Garlic( I would eat a clove a day in the week of ovulation makes for copious mucus) , grapefruit, pomegranate and lots of hydration and alkaline vegetables for cervical mucus. Extra progesterone after 2dpo for a boost.

As for advice I imagine you have to look at your financial picture. Would you prefer to spend on more vials for at home inseminations?
    Or look into assistance with a doctor or RE to check and make sure all is happening as it should in your body also an investment.( I spent over $1500 on testing)
    Even with normal ovulating cycles with proper timing where sperm meets egg there is only a 20 percent chance that will result in pregnancy.
    My last cycle that resulted in a bfp (fingers crossed it continues to go well) my doctor told me it wasn't common for it to take on the first medicated cycle ( clomid + trigger). I performed the inseminations ( I did ICI and IUI) he provided the clomid and ultrasound monitoring for the trigger shot.
    My follicle wouldn't have released a properly mature egg without clomid assistance. In previous cycles I always ovulated on my own but without viable pregnancies due to an immature egg being released (we think). If it hadn't worked I think I was going to wait a few more months to save money again and try one more time at home but with just two vials but medication and ultrasound monitoring with my doctor again.

I hope it just works for you the next cycle and you get a bfp with a healthy full term pregnancy.
    TTC #1: August 2017 - ICI BFP- miscarried @7weeks
    TTC#2: December 2017- ICI, IUI- BFP! - Will induce @ 37 weeks 4 days (9/7/18 ) Can't wait to meet my sweet baby boy! Baby here 9/8/18! 7lbs1oz and 20.5 inches long.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you! We are getting ready to order again. This time we are doing 2 vials. How far apart did you insem? I've always heard 12 and 24 hours is the most common.
  • Options
    tealbowtealbow Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    I called and scheduled a fertility appointment when I knew I was going to start TTC
    The first appointment was 2 months out. So I did ICI at home on my own before my appointment so that if I needed them we would jump start with meds and not just try it “naturally”.
    At home ICI Dec 2017 - BFN
    At home ICI January 2018 - BFP at 10dpo
    Baby girl born September 2018
  • Options
    yogibabyyogibaby Posts: 122
    edited November -1
    12 and 24 is great. If I had two vials I would definitely pick those times!
    TTC #1: August 2017 - ICI BFP- miscarried @7weeks
    TTC#2: December 2017- ICI, IUI- BFP! - Will induce @ 37 weeks 4 days (9/7/18 ) Can't wait to meet my sweet baby boy! Baby here 9/8/18! 7lbs1oz and 20.5 inches long.