Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Need advice

jenandlorijenandlori Posts: 584
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I tried to search for this already, but am becoming frustrated. Even though I have not started my period, I can feel her coming. I am thinking about going to the Dr. to see if there is anything she can do. When I had my last pap smear (September) she said everything looked great and there should be no reason I can't get pregnant. I know I have only tried twice but feel that there may be something she can do.

My question is what do I ask? Should I first try one of those fertility test on cd3? I don't even know where to start. So any of you lovely ladies that have gone to the Dr. what did you ask. Do I need to go see an RE?

Thanks in advance
Jen
Baby Dallas born 11/27/13

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg

Comments

• Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    do you usually have regular cycles?

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes very regular.

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • Options
    stwrrstwrr Posts: 455 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it time girls! You realize that with donor sperm, the statistical odds for perfectly healthy women are still around 10%? It's around 18% for "live" sperm, and somewhere around the same for IUI directly into the cervix.

But still. That means for every ten women trying this month, only one will succeed. That's okay - that's normal. Yes, it's expensive and it sucks, but it's perfectly normal.

Most REs will suggest you try 4-6 well timed cycles at home before coming in for additional testing. You have to give it a chance. Of course we all have/had this great dream of it working on the first try (and major congrats to those who did!), but for the other 9 women, it's onto try two, three, four, five... etc. And, if you can, try switching donors every three months, just in case the sperm's chemistry just isn't matching up with yours.

Give it time. :)

~ Sandy
    407251321.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    Personally I'd give it some more time...
    Even with NO ferility issues, perfect timing, etc. there is only a 20% chance per cycle of actually becoming pregnant. A doctor normally can't do much to help and wont start looking into meds, etc until you've tried at least 6 cycles. Sure you can have CD3 bloodwork done, but it wont do much good as with regular cycles there likely is no problem.

Just hang in there...good luck next time!
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With PCOS are there any symptoms? I assume I ovulate because I get a smiley every month and all of my signs seem to indicate I do.

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • Options
    mommylovemommylove Posts: 1,582
    edited November -1
    With your regular cycles it is unlikely PCOS is a reality for you.

One of the main symptoms of PCOS is having irregular periods, say only 9 cycles a year. And also the length of cycles (over 35 days between periods for instance). Another sign is heavy, irregular vaginal bleeding.
    be422225-267e-4ff7-94c0-a8d5baf3176a_zpse0970fea.jpg
    October 2014

Dk5Zm7.png

22gfm7.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok thanks everyone! I know I need to give it time. My wife just wants this to take and makes me worry!

IMG_9532_zpsff82306d.jpg
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    My advice would be to wait for a few more cycles :-) I know how hard this is and how impatient it makes us but with regular periods and a smiley every month, there is *probably* not anything major wrong. NOW, on the other hand, I urge you to only wait for the *normal* amount of time, say 6 months if your timing is all great, and still BFN, for example. It is possible to be having perfectly normal cycles and perfect ovulation but to have endometriosis or blocked tubes, both of which would keep you from conceiving without corrective measures being taken. A normal, consistent cycle is usually indicative of regular ovulation BUT not always! You absolutely will have a period after ovulating but you may or may not have a period on time after an anovulatory cycle! And although, some women with endo have pain, etc., some have nothing and have severe endo.

I would try to be patient, Ladies - as hard as that is!! I know what I said kind of sounds like I'm talking out of the both sides of my mouth but in my experiences, more times than not there is not anything seriously wrong - it just takes time and like many have already said - very few actually get pregnant the first try and even though that is a dream come true, doesn't mean they are any healthier or did anything better than you - it JUST happened! BUT, I also don't want you to 'just keep thinking it will happen' like my DH did and here we are, 9 years later and still no baby!! We're not getting any younger!! ;-) Best of luck and hope you get that BFP very soon!!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    the only way to verify that you've ovulated is a thermal shift. getting a smiley every month only tells you that you've had an LH surge but it doesn't mean that you'll ovulate. make sure you temp a couple months to see if you're ovulating. it is the singlemost cheapest and BEST thing you can do to ensure your body is doing what it's supposed to in order to conceive. i highly recommend it as well as reading toni weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility. i think the book and temping were two of the biggest factors in getting our bfp...
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months