Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

DNA testing

sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
edited February 2016 in Parenting and Life
I know a few months back there was a post about DNA testing. I know many have had it done and I'm very interested in having it done on my children. My kids are full siblings so I think I'll only do it on Riley this time due to cost and that he is old enough to cooperate. There are a few different companies who offer different things. Which ones have you guys liked? I can't decide . . I would love to know more about my children's background on the donors side but a overall report would be awesome too. I've was reading up on this site but still can't decide. I might do one test on R from one company and one on E from another. Given I'd love all the info. At least they are full siblings.

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2015/02/02/2015-most-bang-for-the-dna-buck/

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    It looks a tad confusing however until I get the results I can't look too much into it. I plan on putting a lot of time into researching though. It looks very interesting. I ended up ordering a test for Riley through ancestory DNA and then the y-DNA from family tree DNA for Riley as well as it will only give me info on his paternal side then for Emelia I did the family finder to look at both sides. I'll probably transfer the raw data between sites and order the medical info from the raw data as well. I'll probably do a test on myself soon but the 3 tests were basically all I wanted to spend this month towards it.
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm considering using "23 and Me" for myself, since my mom never knew her father, so 1/4th of my genetics is a mystery. I've been stalling in the hopes that the FDA will let them go back to providing medical info in the reports, but I do have a little extra money right now (from tax refund), so maybe I should go ahead and do it while I can afford it. I don't think I'll do it for my daughter yet, but I guess I can look at the current prices before I decide.
  • Options
    handsomecowboohandsomecowboo Posts: 284
    edited November -1
    RedHeather wrote:
    I'm considering using "23 and Me" for myself, since my mom never knew her father, so 1/4th of my genetics is a mystery. I've been stalling in the hopes that the FDA will let them go back to providing medical info in the reports, but I do have a little extra money right now (from tax refund), so maybe I should go ahead and do it while I can afford it. I don't think I'll do it for my daughter yet, but I guess I can look at the current prices before I decide.

I have a 23 and me account. It seems to provide pretty detailed information, though I haven't shopped other sites. As a person on their mailing list, I get announcements for sales that they do a few times a year. If it's similar to how they did it last year, just before Mother's Day will be the next upcoming sale (usually 25-50% off). I've been paying attention because I plan to get it as a gift for my mom.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RedHeather wrote:

For $5 you can get the medical data from any of them you just need to use a third party which is the $5. It's VERY easy!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also if you buy from the other two main ones for a small fee you can transfer the data to 23&me and use their site too

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2015/02/02/2015-most-bang-for-the-dna-buck/

And for the medical use the link below. You can look at sample reports now. Also ancestoryDNA is also available on Amazon I found out after and in their comments it has some helpful info.

https://www.promethease.com
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    Just saw a Groupon for Ancestry and thought of this thread. $69
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just saw a Groupon for Ancestry and thought of this thread. $69

I looked at that however it isn't for ancestry DNA. It's for another company.