Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

IUI vial shelf life

src138src138 Posts: 19
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I am now in the dreaded TWW. I did two inseminations yesterday, IUI, one 12 hrs after opk and the other 28 hrs after opk (ya know because life).
My question to you all is how long do these vials last in storage, frozen? My vials are from 2012 as I took them off someone's hands that didn't need them anymore. I've read that yeah, some people have been successful with vials that were in storage for 12 to 20 + years, but that's not the standard, right? All the posts on this forum about my donor resulting in BFPs were from years ago, probably because that is when he first donated.
Has anyone on this forum gotten a BFP from vials that have been on the shelf a while?
TTC #1: 1 IUI vial 1/11-BFN
#2: 1 IUI vial 3/1-BFN (would have done two vials but UPS delivered late)
#3: 1 IUI vial 4/19 12 hrs after + opk; 2nd IUI vial 28 hrs after + opk; BFN
#4: 1 IUI vial; Femera for 5 days; Ovidrel Trigger 7/25; IUI 7/27; BFN
#5: 1 IUI vial; Femera for 5 days; Ovidrel Trigger 10/9; IUI 10/11; BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/25

Comments

• Options
    yogibabyyogibaby Posts: 122
    edited November -1
    Liquid Nitrogen stores at temps lower than -80 degrees Celsius(Where we stored a lot of samples we were working on in terms of immediately or for the 4-6 years of being in grad school) . For liquid nitrogen all biological activity is pretty much stopped. Indefinitely. Liquid nitrogen is much lower temps like -196 degrees Celsius.

( I used to be in grad school for molecular biology) There was no expiration date on our samples once in liquid nitrogen assuming no thawing from lack of it. I wouldn't worry about shelf life as long as the liquid nitrogen levels had been maintained.
    We were dealing with cell cultures and biological stocks of cells and antibodies that from a research perspective were liquid gold. Someone's entire Phd education could be ruined if that stuff didn't store. I thought about buying more vials and asking one of the professor's to store them because they don't take much space but I don't want to rely on other grad students to maintain liquid nitrogen levels and I worry about my professor retiring or forgetting about my samples or grad students letting liquid nitrogen levels get too low.

Relax your vials are fine. Wishing you a bfp.
    TTC #1: August 2017 - ICI BFP- miscarried @7weeks
    TTC#2: December 2017- ICI, IUI- BFP! - Will induce @ 37 weeks 4 days (9/7/18 ) Can't wait to meet my sweet baby boy! Baby here 9/8/18! 7lbs1oz and 20.5 inches long.
  • Options
    src138src138 Posts: 19
    edited November -1
    Ha! Thanks. You're right. I need to relax.
    TTC #1: 1 IUI vial 1/11-BFN
    #2: 1 IUI vial 3/1-BFN (would have done two vials but UPS delivered late)
    #3: 1 IUI vial 4/19 12 hrs after + opk; 2nd IUI vial 28 hrs after + opk; BFN
    #4: 1 IUI vial; Femera for 5 days; Ovidrel Trigger 7/25; IUI 7/27; BFN
    #5: 1 IUI vial; Femera for 5 days; Ovidrel Trigger 10/9; IUI 10/11; BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/25