Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Future uncertainty, anyone?-OT

twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I guess this is a vent as well as looking for others in a similar situation!
So, DP is working on her PhD and her job here, in our minds, is temporary. After she has her PhD she will be looking for a new position. Well, she is finishing up her coursework this May. She then has to take qualifying exams, do research and write her dissertation. She works full time, so we're hoping 2 years from now she'll be finishing up. HOPING!
Well, when she started the job she has now (almost 3 years ago), the contract was fine. Well, it expired right before she started and since then it has been an ongoing battle. Well, they finally reached a tentative agreement. IT BLOWS MONKEY CHUNKS, for anyone hired in 2008-present. DP will actually be taking a pay cut due to insurance premium percentage increases. (The premiums aren't going up but the school is covering a much smaller percentage than previously). They are getting a 2% raise but it won't even almost cover the bump up in insurance. So, overall it's a pay cut. Now, that isn't the worst of it. She was supposed to be promoted at the end of next year...a $7,000 raise!!!!!!!!! Well, because she was hired in 2008 and NOT 2007, she is only getting $1,000 raise. And in 4 years, the people hired now will be making more than anyone hired in 2008, 2009, 2010. How is that even remotely right?
Ok, so we're still thinking she'll be out of there in 2-3 years. BUT in the meantime, I am not quite sure how we're going to make it work with less money. We already live pretty frugally due to the fact that we're a one income family. I know we'll get by we have had tough times before but it just seems more stressful with not only 1 kiddo, but another on the way. We weren't expecting a pay cut.
I do understand that these are difficult economic times but when the president of the school gets a 15% raise (and contributes 0 to insurance), and her housing allowance and vehicle allowance are both increased by 25% this year, the board members and all other execs. just got 9% increases and contribute nothing to insurance. And the school spent over $700,000 on digital signs, over a million on sports projects...I have a hard time hearing the "economic hardship" defense. It seems they have money for everything but faculty. I don't think DP needs a huge raise but a pay cut?
I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else is dealing with this sort of thing. I sort of feel alone because all of our friends seem to have everything together and they don't have money concerns. And I sort of feel at this point in our lives...we shouldn't have money concerns either. I am just fearful that the little things that we do monthly won't be able to happen...like college savings!
Ok...sorry to go on!

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I've been similarly affected but only to a very minor extent at work. Salary remains constant while costs increase and company contributions to benefits decrease. Meanwhile, execs have new car and travel allowances. I don't begrudge anyone their salary offsets. I just want mine too.

I hope you're able to stick it out to make it work on one income. The concept of a stay-at-home mom is rapidly becoming extinct in this day and age so I applaud the families that are still able to pull it off!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zen-Fact of the matter is...I probably wouldn't make enough to send 2 kids to daycare. I have a 4 year degree in.........Psychology. Worst decision I EVER made, I think!!!
    And yea, I have to say that I do hold it against the president and execs that got their raises because if they had taken a little less...everyone could have gotten a fair deal. They are on the other half of the battle! But if they get theirs....I want ours too!
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh I have plenty of money concerns, but I won't go into detail. To sum it up, I'm going to need to go back to school to pursue a career in the healthcare industry (I'm hoping nursing), if I ever want to think about having another baby. I'm not sure how I'm going to swing going to school full time and cutting back to very limited working hours or quit all together. My main concern is having money every month for his daycare. I could really use some lottery winnings right about now. ;-)
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Well, Amanda won't be getting a pay cut but otherwise we are in a similar situation. In the next year she has to take 3 prerequisite classes while she works and then we are moving back up north and she will start her masters, which will take about 3 years. Right now I am staying home with the girls. Amanda picks up an overtime day almost every week ,sometimes every other week. I watch a baby 3 days a week for $100 a week to pretty much just pay for food and gas. I was supposed to have the little girl full time and 2 little boys part time as well but then the parent's schedules changed so they don't need me right now and that was an unexpected pay cut from about $800 to $400 a month.
    So, we feel ur pain. And to add to it we have to move (which we are happy about though) and then we have to figure out how much she can work while in school, how much I have to work (and find a job) and between our schedules how much child care we need and who will watch them. I know it will all work out and after Amanda is done with school we will be in a great place BUT all the unknowns are stressful. I try not to think about too far in the future, but at the same time try to prepare for it!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jen-I know what you mean about the lottery winnings! DP also has to pay for school...which is INSANE! Next year we're going to have to take out student loans for her to go. I just hope it will be worth it in the long run. I need to go back to school too but not for health care. Where we are the hospitals just fired tons of people...including nurses. The one hospital let go of over 100 nurses! So...I won't be going that route!
  • Options
    jenoglvjenoglv Posts: 669 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's crazy about the layoffs. Heathcare seems pretty safe as far as layoffs go most of the time.
    Jennifer SMBC, mama to Rhys.

2012-10-29003321-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cory-I know what you mean about trying not to think about it too far in advance. It does make it more stressful! Her paychecks will change on June 3rd. So, now is the time for me to think! I am encouraging her to look around since she doesn't have to be close to the school where she is doing her PhD., now that her coursework is done. She can do her dissertation anywhere!
    You guys are going to be going crazy! At least 3 kids and moving and school and work! WOWZA! I do have to say that I am excited for you to move north though! We may actually get to meet!
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Yeah, we're a glutton for punishment but we're not getting any younger so the babies just keep coming! LOL We will be moving with 3 kids and are hoping to TTC #4 about 6-9 months after we move up north. We'd love to meet up with you guys once we're up there :-)
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Twicejess -- while you cannot really practice with a 4-year psych degree, you're a great candidate for the "transition-to-teaching" program. I'm still a few classes (maybe 1 semester) short of this same degree and that's one of my long-term goals. I looked at some of the qualifying tests online and found that with no further study or prep, I would pass the the tests to teach most of the k-8 subjects and a possibly a couple of the high school ones too. I keep this option in the back of my mind for when Shiloh starts school. Really like the idea of having the same work/vacation schedule as her!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zen- I have heard about that but never looked into it. I don't think I'd be a very good teacher. If I have to go back to work, I think I will look into an assistance ship thing, where I take classes and work 20 hours for the college...and get a small stipend. The catch again will be child care.

I think it'll be great if you get done and get to teach when Shiloh starts school! That would be great to have the same schedule!
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    We are going through something kind of similar. Because Laur is a police officer she is in a union. She was hired in 1994 so she gets to retire in 3 years with like 85% of her pay from her top 3 earning years. She also gets full medical for herself. Now people who work there and are not in the union (which means they are not police officers except the Chief of Police) get to retire and they along with their whole family keeps all their health insurance benefits. The officers have not had a pay increase in 2 years but the Chief gets a 9% increase every year without fail--plus they buy him a brand new large SUV of his choice every year (it's his personal vehicle) plus the town pays the insurance and registration on the truck---oh and all his gas is free.
    I also wanted to say that Lauren's undergrad was in psychology and because she could not do anything with it she became a police officer. Her Masters is almost done and that is in MFT. I have my undergrad in English with certification in Secondary Ed and I have no idea why anyone would ever teach----I love teaching but there is no money in it--it's is great for a second income though. We pay for all of Paige's college so we gave her a list of major that we would not pay for and both psychology and education were on our list. Her major is pre-med.

Well am so sorry you guys are having to deal with this--this economy sucks!!!
  • Options
    starfish2318starfish2318 Posts: 243
    edited November -1
    The economy sucks right now, dp and I worked for the same company, and we just had our last day yesterday, so as of today we are both unemployed, with one on the way. I just got into nursing school, so I start that in August, and I am a full time student right now, finishing up pre-req's FOR nursing school. I will have a BSN when I am done, so that will be great....but that is definitely awhile off! We also need to move, as I am 1 1/2 hours from nursing school currently....so we need to move, find new jobs, and figure out how to get through nursing school without putting kiddos in daycare I am really against that. The economy is a hag!
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    not really affecting me (i work in IT at a very stable profitable company) but in dp's profession it is very, very bad. her company just went through another round of layoffs and furloughs. dp was not included but that does not mean she is immune. if she were to be laid off it would be difficult for her to find work.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    First of all, I am so sorry you are going through this struggle especially when you are about to expand your family. In the end I am sure it will work out and you both will do what you have to, to make it work. Ali and I are so very lucky because her dad owns a very large company where we live and Ali is their accountant. It pays great and the benefits are amazing. She is our bread winner. I am quiting in July to be a SAHM and plan to go back to school in January to become a teacher. Teacher's do not make much money here but the benefits are great and the extra income will be great. I also love the schedules for teachers. I have learned that you should never pick a job based on it's pay because if you aren't happy there is no amount of money in the world that can fix it. It may be a quick fix but in the long run you will be miserable. I get kind of nervous about going from two incomes to one. Ali and I have been saving like crazy just in case something were to happen while I am not working and we need money fast. We are not fans of credit cards or loans, I work for a bankruptcy law firm and I see first hand the troubles in that. This ecomony is just so bad right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cocobay-may I ask what area of the country you live in? DP is a teacher at a community college, she left the high school setting because she wanted to do more than teach to the state tests. Her benefits were ok...they covered a lot but she also paid a lot towards them in the end there. And the state we live in just had HUGE budget cuts and the benefits for teachers are one of the first things to go up (at K-12 schools too, not JUST her school). Any school who has a contract up...that is a HUGE debate.

I am in no way trying to sound negative about teaching but it's very dependent on WHERE you teach. In the last state we lived in, DP was required to do all sorts of extras and the schedule was INSANE. And the district you teach for makes a difference too.
    I think anyone who goes into teaching has to really want to do it for the kids. The money isn't good for what is required, and the political sh*t you have to deal with...it's not for everyone that is for sure!!
    Like I said different states are different...and districts can differ within the state. And I only know about the 2 states DP has taught in and neither place is a good teacher state. In fact, where we live right now, teachers can't even get jobs because the budget cuts have closed school and condensed districts into fewer buildings. It's insane!!!
    I guess everything is about Location!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We live in southern Alabama. I plan to teach elementary, I have talked with a ton of teachers that I know personally and they all say they teach for the benefits, not the pay. I hope to teach at one of the elementary schools near our small town because the students there seem to be more...."pleasant". I have sat in with a few of my friends that teach 1st, 2nd, and 4th. The schools closer to the city seemed to have more children that misbehaved. I love, love, love kids, so I thought this would just go hand in hand with teaching younger kids. You are so right with the political part of teaching. Ali's cousin is a 2nd grade teacher and he says the women are in cliques at his school. He said their drama is like highschool drama. lol.
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    I don’t know what your state’s regulations say, but getting a teaching certificate might allow you to seek employment as a counselor at a school. Honestly all teaching sucks, but if it will help you use the degree you already paid for it might be worth it. I studied Anthropology and in attempt to avoid starting to pay back my student loans I also ended up with a degree in Philosophy. So I’m in the boat that my degrees and areas of specialty within those degrees are so obscure I am limited to university employment either in research or teaching. I need to go finish my doctorate, but I want to decide how to finish up my family and I have a research project tied to a grant I need to finish on. Plus I have the added problem of if I complete my doctorate in Anthropology I can head the department where I teach when my boss retires but to get on board at all at the very expensive university my science geek son wants to attend I would only be able to do so with the Philosophy. So I completely sympathize with needing even more of a degree to move anywhere and not necessarily wanting the degree.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    coco-ahhh...the south! It seems that there are more opportunities in some of the southern states! Good luck!

Lavina-Ugh. It's hard when you have a degree that doesn't give you much flexibility!
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    So many negative opinions about teaching! I know it depends on where you live, but it is very important work. We live pretty simply, and the pay isn't great, but I feel very rewarded for the work I do. I never feel bored in my job, I get summers and vacations with my family, and I make a difference in a noticeable and measurable way in the lives of my students.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ncmomstobe- You just summed up everything I have been thinking. I am going to make a difference in so many children! I remember my 2nd grade teacher and how she used to let me stay after school and help her wash the chalk boards because she said she "adored" me! That has stuck with me my entire life :-)
  • Options
    keepingfaithkeepingfaith Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dh is a teacher, we are looking for work and he's been RIF'd since they are furth combining his combination classroom. I know it's still early but we've sent out 67 application for open positions all over the country and not a single nibble back. He loves what he does so I do hope he can find a job. If not he'll go back for his Master's so he can teach highschool as well. Right now he's only elem and endorsed (depending on the state) for 3 middle school subjects. Even out of his graduating class (a few years back) only 4 have been able to even find full time employment as teachers. I'm not confident we'll find work but if nothing comes up, we at least have a couple back up plans.

And for the record, his benefits completely BLOW and he makes just over minimum wage. We are on a single income because of the nature of where we live. If he didn't absolutely love what he does I'd have him be a SAHD and I'd find work.
    Me - 36, attached to a special someone amd Supermommy to 4 kiddos.
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    I don't want to be so negative about teaching but we live in a state that pays it's teachers the highest salaries. I work in the district in our state that pays its teachers the most and there is no way we could live just off my paycheck---really if we did we would be living a little above the poverty level. To send Paige to college it costs us over $40,000 per year why in the world would I ever want her to be a teacher---it's makes no financial sense. I do love to teach and I would never teach anything but high school or college. Paige never wanted to work with kids and she always wanted to be a doctor so it is not like we dashed her dreams when we said we would not pay her college if she majored in education.

I know CT is very different then other places--we were just in Florida and I was watching the news. Some city in Florida just hired a new police chief and they were saying how much they have to pay him---they were complaining that he was going to make $63,000 per year----in CT starting officers ,starting teachers almost any career I can think of start way above $63,000 per year. Honestly you could not even buy a house in CT (unless you had a lot in savings) if that was your paycheck. We would love to move somewhere warmer but we could never make the same kind of money and we want Beck to go to school here---so we are just going to buy a vacation house--we really HATE New England winters!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, LK...CT is a different place! You are fortunate to be in the position you are in. I mean, to be able to flat out pay for Paige's college is awesome, especially at a $$$ school. Teachers where we live, start somewhere between 31,000 and 40,000.
    Police officers make squat too. However you can buy a nice house for $250,000. So, if you play your cards right...you're fine on a lower salary.
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    I understand what you are going through. I am a state employee in WI. My pay is being cut 12%. While i am on maternity leave, there is a chance my entire employment, leave, and benefits could change drastically. We are just taking it one step at a time. DH was going to be a SAHD, but we have now found daycare. He was going to go to gradschool, now we are going to see how things go.

I wish we could plan. We did plan, and were financially in order until the sudden change two months ago. We are just going to be flexible, search for deals, and live frugally. We know it will be hard, but we both grew up in households with less money than we have and we have great memories of simple joys.
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    And, fyi -- i am an atty who is now making around $45,000. There are no guarantees that a certain profession will give you a comfortable lifestyle. And, the comfortable salary can go away (mine has kept going down over the past 4 years as my experience goes up). But, i am mostly happy doing my job, and i appreciate the schedule it allows me to have. That is worth more than the actual money i make.
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    I think money troubles are universal. Right now DP is going to school 2 days a week and working the other 5. Thank God she found a job that will work her, its a serving job, but it is better than the minimum wage job she was only getting 1 day a week on. We have been living off of student loans prior to that. Not the best idea, but it's what we had to do. We also have a roommate so we can afford rent and other bills. I was in school and would like to continue going, but because I don't enjoy it and have no idea what I want to go for I decided to stay home until I knew what I wanted to do. Between trying to arrange DPs school and work scheduel around my school scheduel to make sure we didn't have to pay for childcare was a huge pain in the butt. So here I am, staying at home, trying to find ways to supplement our income from home while DP is out winning the bread. lol
    We had put off TTC for the past few months because money has been so tight, but hopefully we can get back on track since she has a job brining in some money. We had thought about waiting until we bought our own house, didn't have a roommate, she was out of school etc etc, but things are never going to be perfect. My baby is almost 4, and although I do have time left on my fertility clock I don't want my kids to be 8 and 11 before I have a newborn. We will figure out how to pay all the bills, we have thus far. I just wish it was a little eaiser.
  • Options
    LucyGooseyLucyGoosey Posts: 320
    edited November -1
    And, fyi -- i am an atty who is now making around $45,000. There are no guarantees that a certain profession will give you a comfortable lifestyle. And, the comfortable salary can go away (mine has kept going down over the past 4 years as my experience goes up). But, i am mostly happy doing my job, and i appreciate the schedule it allows me to have. That is worth more than the actual money i make.

Well said. And in this economy finding a job period is an upward battle. Let alone a decent paying job.

But, in the end I think it's important to pick what you enjoy doing. Money is important, but if I'm going to spent at least 40-50 hours a week doing something I want to like it.
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    i wanted to add that even though we are both employed we do coupon and look for deals where we can. there is absolutely no shame in being frugal where you can.

i also spend a little time doing swagbucks, zoombucks, irazoo and surveys.

for this i get amazon gift cards. the plan for us is to use them to purchase christmas presents this year but they can easily be used for diapers during the year.

to date (since jan 1), i have earned $186 in amazon gift cards using the above schemes.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is off topic but to address a point that LK raised, numbers have different values in different places. $60K a year may not sound like much in CT but it's pretty good in FL. My cousin bought a 5 bedroom house on 3 acres of land in Wisconsin a few years ago for $60K. In Florida you'd have to work hard to find a decent condo at that price ... but you could get a beautiful car! So I think it all depends on where you live. But no matter where you live you still need income so for everyone's sake I hope the job market improves soon!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Similar situation here - with our new governor who's making national news weekly for his atrocious behavior, my pay will likely go DOWN next year. He wants to change our health insurance plan to one that costs more and pass the additional costs off onto employees, plus make us pay back the raid on our pensions that previous governors have made to balance the budget. We've been working without a contract, COLA raise, or step increase this year. They've forced school districts to consolidate, and of the three districts that merged in my new district, each of our teachers is making, on average, $6,000 less per year than the other two schools with no promise of closing the gap. In addition, the quality of our workplace is going downhill. Our new superintendent negotiated a $40,000 raise for herself a few years back while insisting that everyone else had to have a pay freeze because times were so difficult. Yup, I work for a ****. Now we're being told that because we have 133 minutes of less contact time per week than one of the other schools (that makes 6K more a year) because we get 40 minute lunches instead of 20-30 minutes lunches that we will be asked to work two hours extra after hours at "staff meetings" each week to make up the difference. Um, I'll take the 6K or the 20-minute lunch, thank you. Plus they want to extend our contract year and take away our prep time and professional development time.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png