Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Future uncertainty, anyone?-OT

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I didn't read all of the replies but I wanted to throw something out there. My sister is a single Mom, she has her degree in child pyschology (probably even more useless than a general psych degree!). Anyway, she is teaching at a private preschool (she has both Nannied and worked in the insurance industry prior to this year). She works 4 hours a day and did not have to be certified, she makes about $22,000/year. The best part is that her daughter goes for VERY little %age of the tution and that's saying a lot since tuition is about 10 grand and she doesnt need to pay for child care to boot. She works in the afternoons as a Nanny for school aged children (and takes her daughter with her) since she is the only income for the 2 of them. I know you aren't there right now, but maybe a morning job like that might work for you at some point. Enough to live on for a family of 4? Certainly not but it might be a good extra income at some point if the kids could go to a good preschool for a reduced rate.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    becca93becca93 Posts: 20
    edited November -1
    In higher education, the situation is grim no matter where you go. It's pretty common that new folks are hired at a higher starting salary than the pay given to people who've been around for years--at my university, some full profs were making $14K less than those just starting out--simply b/c getting the "best hires" sometimes requires a premium. Grad students often get, well, no end of the stick, since universities know that the candidates need to finish their coursework and also need some kind of flexible employment. A lot of my fellow students started working in other positions--pastry chef, web copy editor, substitute teacher--since the $8K per year we got from the school wasn't exactly livable.

In the next two years at my current university, we're facing anywhere from a 7% to 27% budget cut and planning for 15%, which means layoffs, no new hires, some pay cuts, and much, much larger class sizes. I'm basically going to be teaching twice as many students as I usually do for the same or less pay, and I've been asked if I can give up my phone line, stop using any paper or printer ink, etc. And of course this is all expected to be done without compromising the quality of a college education. I don't know that it's going to get better any time soon; our admins have told us to get ready for at least 5 years of extremely tight budgets. That's not good for PhDs still in the pipeline, because what will the already crappy job market look like?

I know lots of people, many of them in my own family, think that college profs teach a few classes, sit in fancy offices when they want, and travel the world during the summer. Maybe some do, but I work year-round, 60-70hrs/wk, for less money than a high school teacher in the area makes in 9 months. When I was promoted, I didn't get a penny more in salary. I teach because I love it and I'm reasonably good at it, but it really is starting to get to the point where I will have to look outside of the academy.

In terms of college savings, DP and I have tried to set aside $25 each month, per likely college-bound child, which is 4 out of our 5. She had $9K saved over the past 10 years but her ex spent it. So now, instead of having money to pay for a year or two of community college, the oldest kids are going to have to work and attend school possibly part-time. My university offers no tuition breaks or perks to children of faculty, so my one biological child also will be headed to community college unless he earns a major scholarship AND really likes to learn. If he doesn't like studying and learning, a 4-year college is a complete waste of time and money--and I say that after teaching at such institutions since 1996!!!

I don't remember your DP's field of study, but I hope it's something in high demand all over the United States so when she graduates, y'all have your pick of awesome jobs in great places :)
  • Options
    lavinalavina Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    becca93 wrote:
    I know lots of people, many of them in my own family, think that college profs teach a few classes, sit in fancy offices when they want, and travel the world during the summer.

I am rolling on the floor reading this! The university I work at is, fortunately private and rather prestigious, so they rake in the tuition and MOST permanent staff get paid well enough. We do rely on a lot of graduate students, but we have a lot of temporary staff too. I feel sorry for them, but again most of them are not that qualified anyway. I get to travel, but only because my husband owns his own company and he pays for it. However we are a "research" facility so full time staff is expected to canvas for grants to complete research and to become published. The only reason I started taking classes to teach was for the discount for my kids. They will still be attending community college to start. (Our COA is currently $51,500.) And every semester I am getting told to "teach just one more class" and that's not what I signed up for. I am forced to be available to student in my office twice a week, which is a delight since the Anthropology department is officially located in a dungeon of a million year old building. None of the students ever come down to consult with any of us, because as they put it, "it smells like cat pee" plus most students get lost down there and when they find their ways out they never go back. Next year the university is instructing students that a laptop is a necessary tool for success. We were instructed to provide all course documents only in the form of PDF's. I'm waiting for the day we go in and find we've been assigned printing cards like the students get and we have like 200 sheets of printing available per class or something.
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Becca93-I am sitting here wondering what state you teach in and what type of university you teach at? You don't have to share this info obviously but DP is a professor at a community college and gets a lot of the perks you mentioned. Her work and school are completely separate. Our children would be able to go to the community college for free (have to pay fees, books etc). Now, it is only a 2 year school so the freedom would stop there. But they are working to get a deal going with the state schools, so in 16 years...who knows what the case may be.
    And the job market for a PhD candidate, depending on the degree of course, isn't that bad. DP already has interest from a couple of big research schools. My only concern is moving to a weird state. We are already gearing up to move in 2 or 3 years for her to relocate and work at a research based university.
    I know in the grand scheme of things we are lucky she has a job and that she is not threatened with losing it at this point in time. The loss in pay is just not going to be easy to deal with. It is going to make our lives a little more tricky! And, I don't think I'd be nearly as upset if the President and other execs. Also, got a pay cut or at least a pay freeze. ANYTHING but a pay raise...when they already make 4-5 times what the faculty makes. President makes $234/yr. Plus a housing stipend of $2200/month and a vehicle stipend of $600/month. So, on top of an outrageous salary, her house and car get paid for too! And if they hadn't spent a million dollars on stupid granite signs (which btw-the college made a national magazine for misspending in times of economic hardship, for these million dollar signs), for the millions in sports (again, in the magazine for misspending), because this was budget money, this was not specified money. (sometimes, you know someone leaves the school money for baseball or lacrosse...not in this case, this was budget money).
    So, I guess that is why I am irritated. The school has money for all the other stuff but not to at least keep the faculty checks the same. It is just so irritating.
    And DP is a born teacher. It is all she has ever wanted to do. She wouldn't continue to do it if it weren't for that 1 out of 100 students that shows some gratitude and appreciation. Right now she is teaching developmental courses and most of the kids don't have any desire to be there. So, the 1 or 2 that do...that's what makes it worth it for her.
  • Options
    LKLK Posts: 711
    edited November -1
    Hey Paige goes to a great unversity. It's a D 1 schools for almost all their sports. They are ranked very high with their academic degrees and their school for fine arts is nationally recognized. ANYBODY that works there in any capacity gets free four year tuition for themselves and children. Because it's in CT is has to follow all the same sex laws so you and the kids would have great insurance and things! Just a thought!! Oh I should say if you are working there all your schooling is free regardless if it's undergrad,grad, PhD etc.