Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

When did you call your OB?

minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So I've been followed by an RE for the past several months getting myself pregnant and now that I am...I'm lost! I don't even have a clue what to do next!

For those of you who used RE's when did you call an OB to start seeing them? Right away? Did you wait a while?

I've gotten some good recommendations in my area for OB's but I'm hesitant to call until tomorrow when I get my 2nd beta.

Thoughts?
6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I'd call after you get your beta. Some will see you right away but some will not make you an appt until you are 8 or more weeks along. But, either way you can make your appt and look forward to the date :-)
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    care&alicare&ali Posts: 362
    edited November -1
    I am 6 weeks, 3 days and yesterday I had my first OB ultrasound, but with my RE. Does your RE plan to follow you at all? Have you talked to them since you got your BFP? I thought pregnancy would be the end of my relationship with my RE, but he wants to track me until 8 weeks. Yesterday he took blood to check progesterone and beta levels again to make sure I don't need to supplement anything. I see him once more in 2 weeks, I plan on calling an OB right after that appt. He gave me a few recommendations and I think I've made a choice on which one we're going with. :)
    093bbc9d-2fa9-4ee5-9cf5-b9d31af5141b_4BW.jpg
  • Options
    minnie0672minnie0672 Posts: 1,264
    edited November -1
    That's a really good point care&ali. I have no idea if he will continue seeing me after I have my beta tomorrow. My guess is yes. I will check with the other person here at school who is seeing the same doctor. I think that they "release" me to my regular OB at one point. I got some really good suggestions of doctors close by and that will deliver at the hospital that I like that is right down the street from my new house.
    6 IUI's resulting in BFN. 7th IUI was the fun one with pregnant...then not...then ectopic at 7 weeks...IVF #1 - miscarriage...IVF #2 miscarriage 5w6d...IVF #3 cancelled due to not growing embryos and pneumonia...IVF# 4 same old story...BFP then miscarriage...this is getting old...onto possibly Donor Egg or Donor Embryo
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I had to do a pee test for my OB, when that was positive, I made my first appt for 9weeks.

I think most REs will do an initial u/s then release you... but it can't hurt to call your RE to see when they recommend talking to a OB. you'll see your RE tomorrow, right?
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    onemorebabyonemorebaby Posts: 472
    edited November -1
    My RE "keeps me" as patient till I am 10 weeks or so, and monitors estrogen, progesterone, and the beta numbers. He also does ultrasounds there in his office.

I did make an appt with the OB who will do my care, I will see him next week, about 9 wks pg.... so there will be a little overlapping for a couple of weeks...

: ) Congrats again! Can't wait to see your numbers tomorrow!!!
    My blog! www.ifyoulivedhereidknowyourname.blogspot.com
    Welcome Baby Madelynn! 11/29/11
    419260_3081228479933_1540462223_2749331_1507377435_n-1.jpg
  • Options
    HadleyHadley Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    It was my experience that staying with the RE for the first 10 weeks was best, because the level of monitoring and attention they provide (ultrasounds, blood monitoring, supplemental progesterone etc) was MUCH higher than with an OB.

For example, my RE did many ultrasounds the first few weeks to ensure the gestational sac was in the uterus (and not an ectopic). Then to see that there was a fetal pole in the gestational sac. Then again to see a heartbeat in the fetal pole. The another to check growth and the cervix.... My friends who used just an OB didn't have any ultrasound monitoring till around 20 weeks.

My OB also said they don't give progesterone supplements till there is a history of repeat miscarriage. My RE gave it to everyone who was doing IUI. So some differences :)
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i found out i was pregnant on a friday. by monday morning i had an OB selected, and an appointment made. :)
  • Options
    GoobieGoobie Posts: 3,515
    edited November -1
    I contacted my midwife 5 months before my BFP! Then I kept in contact with her via email and she was one of the first to hear we had gotten the job done. But with my other two pregnancies when I saw an OB, they didn;t want me to come in till between 8-12 weeks, but you may as well call now!
    tt125c22.aspx

Need to update a ticker, Silas Anthony Jordon born Oct 11, 2013. 6th baby, so much love!
  • Options
    LovingMomsLovingMoms Posts: 1,078
    edited November -1
    My RE told me that they will follow me up to a certain point then they will release me to my regular OBGYN.
    July 2011 BFP, miscarried at 5 weeks.
    aW7Dm4.png
  • Options
    twicejesstwicejess Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    We stayed with our RE until 7 weeks and then saw the regular OB at 8.5 weeks. I called after my second beta and they just scheduled me for 8.5 weeks. DID your RE say anything about calling? When the call with the second beta results they may tell you that you can be released from their care. You'll have to send all your info to your OB.