Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Reading before kindergarten

2»

Comments

• Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    pb wrote:
    All that is important is that I know Beckham can read because Beckham can read. Why anyone uses phonics anymore is beyond me. But to each their own. Honestly, I will never meet you people so I can careless!!!!

THIS is why:
    Kari wrote:
    If you don't learn to sound words out using phonics then you'll never be able to pronounce words like plagiarism, nuance, harangue, labyrinthine, ensconce, lachrymose, abstemious, ephemeral, etc. [taken from frequently-used word lists for the SATs]. You have to rely on phonics and sounding out individual letter sounds, common letter combinations, known language rules, etc. There are no sight words found within those words.

I am sure, as smart as Paige is, that she can pronounce these words. It doesn't all come from memorizing some words and building on those.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    i hate that the simplest question on here results in some people using it as an excuse to boast about their kids skills. :(

every child learns differently...AND...some are good with words/speaking/reading, some are good with math/puzzle solving, some are good at art/music.

to answer the question....ds1 can write and read his own name in upper and lowercase letters. he can also write and read ds2's name. he can sight read a few 3 letter words but mention learning to read to him and he point blank refuses to have anything to do with it, lol! but am i worried? goodness no! (to paraphrase pete the cat). he can "read" books back verbatim and LOVES to have books read to him. he makes up stories of his own too. the love of books is the important thing right now i think.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    cAtWmN84cAtWmN84 Posts: 462
    edited November -1
    indigoscot wrote:
    i hate that the simplest question on here results in some people using it as an excuse to boast about their kids skills. :(

do you mean me? ;)
    sorry, but i'm gonna boast about my daughter until the day i die. i very proud of her :D it doesn't bother me when others do the same or post a bazzillion pics of there kids.i love it!what i don't like is when it turns into a big debate over very serious stuff like vaccines or breastfeeding :(

i don't know what the norm is.i was just saying where my daugther is at with reading and how we got to this point.at 17months my son has just started looking at books instead of just eating them.lol.

if you weren't referring to me...i'll just shut up now :|
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a first grade teacher I teach phonics and whole language as any good teacher would do. in order to reach ALL learners.

CHILDHOOD IS NOT A RACE

what impresses me as a teacher is NOT ( Do they already know how to read?)

What impresses me more is ( Does your family eat dinner together? And Does someone in your family read to you at night?)

CHILDHOOD IS NOT A RACE
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOL just read that the " your baby can read" company is going out of business because they cannot fight all the lawsuits from parents don't have readers.

Childhood is not a race. let them be who they are and stop making them be who you want them to be!!!!!
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babymakes3 wrote:
    LOL just read that the " your baby can read" company is going out of business because they cannot fight all the lawsuits from parents don't have readers.

Childhood is not a race. let them be who they are and stop making them be who you want them to be!!!!!

i know nothing about this.what i do know is what my child got out of it and we didn't even watch the dvds everyday.most of time she wouldn't sit still long enough for flash cards but she really enjoyed the dvds and books.i don't know why your claiming i'm not letting my child be who she is and accusing me of making her who i want to be!
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not u at all CatWmn. only thing I say to u is don't give he reading company credit for you daughter knowing how to read. The credit goes to you or putting in the time and exposure to books.

It is the ladies that are bickering and arguing I've who's child read first and who is being truthful.
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok,thanks for clearing that up :) i took it personal because i bust my butt off for adri and will do the same as lee gets older.i invest a lot of time & money in education,sports and activities.not because i'm trying to mold her for myself or for anyone else. i just want to give her as many opportunities as i can so she can reach her potential and find what makes her happy.i want her try everything (although i have a feeling she will always go back to gymnastics).

ok,i totally went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.
    yqOs9SZ.jpgyqOsm5.png
    Qkvimpd.jpgQkvim4.png
    dxnZweE.jpgdxnZm5.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    babymakes3 wrote:
    It is the ladies that are bickering and arguing I've who's child read first and who is being truthful.

There has not been any argument about whose child read first. The discussion was about phonics, who uses it, why it is important, and the different definitions people assign to "reading" that has led to the confusion. It has been a valuable discussion.

I was not surprised to see that the company has gone out of business.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    mel wrote:
    I was not surprised to see that the company has gone out of business.

I'm just thrilled that I don't have to see/hear those lame commercials again. :D
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg