Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

It's been a while: What do you do? What is your occupation?

annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I am a teacher, who is yet again looking for a different teaching job. I miss the period of time when my parents were young and you got a job out of college and it was the job you had for the rest of your career. Seriously, I am tired of the turmoil in education - but can't imagine doing anything else. I have explored other areas but keep getting drawn back to teaching.

What do you do? Do you like it?
raF7m7.png
Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
Maggie
PNa0m7.png

Comments

• Options
    babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First Grade teacher. this is my 12th year. I love it!
    connonandray.jpg
  • Options
    babydreamingbabydreaming Posts: 258
    edited November -1
    I am a law clerk
  • Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited August 2012
    AS of a few weeks ago I am unemployed.... :( But I was a pharmacy tech.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    SomedaysoonSomedaysoon Posts: 133
    edited November -1
    I'm a preschool teacher at a Montessori school and absolutely love everything about my job!! :)
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a SAHM and homeschool our son. DW is in the banking industry.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Former teacher now SAHM to 8 adopted special needs kids!
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I'm a middle school science teacher. I love my job, but it is extremely demanding. I really love the time I get at home with my kids!
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I'm a Professional Nanny and Household Manager. I love both the "stay at home Mom" portion of my job and the complete flip side where I have a professional persona. Best of both worlds I guess. But in an ideal world where I win the lottery would I keep working? Um, no.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ncmomstobencmomstobe Posts: 549
    edited November -1
    I'm in my tenth year of teaching high school, and I love it! That being said, if we had the money I would take off another semester to be with baby Alfie.
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a child psychologist (well, almost anyway, 3 months to go). I love the active, working parts of my job but I detest the slow, slogging through, paperwork aspect. I hate writing evaluative reports on kids, but love getting to communicate with others who are there to help. I love play therapy but some days hate family work. It's a toss up.
    If I won the lottery... well, I would probably quit for a bit, but then I bet I would go back to it on a smaller scale and with more freedom.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    LandTLandT Posts: 293
    edited November -1
    I'm in the insurance business. Not my first choice but i'm in to deep to get out. ha! I admire all the teachers out there. I don't think I would ever have the patience. :D
    Liz and Tracey

3rq6ah5no.png
    Pure Perfection
    DSCN3194_zpsc49185a7-1_zps433dc3a2-1_zpsa063299b.jpg ; IMAG0913_zpsfc579b1f-1_zps0ef25e8e.jpg
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    I'm a childbirth doula, and I do some weekly babysitting/nanny work on the side. I LOVE my work - I would totally keep working if I won the lottery.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    christeacherchristeacher Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I teach martial arts and recently started an after school program as an extension. I hope to be able to hire another instructor in the very near future so that when I start ttc I will be working for less than an hour and a half. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    DuckDuck Posts: 314
    edited November -1
    I'm a canine behavioral consultant and the editor of a high-traffic dog website. I also provide in-home hospice care for animals as I have a veterinary background. Em is the center director of 6 infant and toddler classrooms and her program is opening up a new school in September, so she'll then be overseeing 9. She also is in charge of constructing the bilingual curriculum for all the districts.
    Zack and Emily

Qchkm4.png

nQy3m4.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    Duck - know of any good resources for tips on how to help/handle a leash-reactive dog?
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    graceinflgraceinfl Posts: 1,743
    edited November -1
    I am a college professor and love it. I taught middle school science and made the change to the college level after dealing with parents. Switched fields and now teach criminal justice courses. I would continue to teach college even if I won the lottery because I just love, love, love it!
  • Options
    charcoaleyescharcoaleyes Posts: 864
    edited November -1
    I am a public defender. I represent mostly juveniles and mentally ill people. I am burnt out. It is emotionally demanding, time consuming and pays a pittance.

I am going back to school part-time in a couple weeks to get my library degree. Who needs to sleep?
  • Options
    smartycat92smartycat92 Posts: 564
    edited November -1
    I am a veterinarian and my DP a vet tech. I have done emergency work in poor neighborhoods most of my career. I love the work and for the most part I love the people that are in the field. But I hate my current job. My previous boss passed away and the clinic was bought by new people who are just horrible. But I stay because I have kept my salary. In this economy, they pay people with 20yrs experience the same as a new graduate. So even though I have explored other opportunities, I plan on sticking it out where I am for as long as possible.
    . 0vthk9cno.png
    20137aff-9c20-4097-91b7-ac919c10954f_zpsd88d3a6c.jpg
    o4bd1nxgy.png
  • Options
    DuckDuck Posts: 314
    edited November -1
    merilung wrote:
    Duck - know of any good resources for tips on how to help/handle a leash-reactive dog?

Sure, I can give you a few tips. Send me a message with a little more info about your pup and what you've already tried.
    Zack and Emily

Qchkm4.png

nQy3m4.png
  • Options
    njmommanjmomma Posts: 531
    edited November -1
    I am a psychiatric nurse. Nurses tend either to hate psychiatry, or to love it. I happend to be one of those who loves it. I like my job, cause there is never a boring day when I am working.
    PL87cIN.jpgPL87m4.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited August 2012
    I own a small boutique tax preparation, consulting and representation firm. I really get a kick out of helping a terrified and confused client feel empowered, championed, and incontrol of a difficult financial situation. I love preparing multistate or national personal income tax returns during the peak season.

My business is experiencing some growing pains and that's building some character. There are moments when I'm not overly fond of character formation.

If I won the lottery tonight I would continue working after taking a long vacation... and increase everyone's salary by $10,000 per year.
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Posts: 515 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am the director of nursing at a nursing home/rehab facility. I am grateful for my job. I love the flexibility it gives me as a single mother, but I do not like being in charge. I would prefer to do the job myself so that I know it is done right. So, having to depend on someone else who is not as motivated to show up and give it 100% is frustrating (and embarrassing at times). I will keep it up as long as they are willing to keep me and the kids are small, but then I want to be a worker bee again...preferably back in pediatrics.
  • Options
    FlowergirlFlowergirl Posts: 2,040
    edited November -1
    I work full time in retail management, as well as do digital design on contract for a local, high end photographer, who I used to work for full time. I am not currently doing any digital design, as I have about all I feel like handling with one full time job on my feet all day, but once baby boy arrives, I am hoping to cut to part time at my retail job, and go back to more digital design contract work, which I can do completely from home and on my own schedule!
    After 9 yrs & 1 devastating loss, we got our BFP at 9DPO ~ and welcomed our beautiful son on Halloween! Best treat ever!!

a3cmlv.jpg
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I'm a middle school English teacher, and she's a high school English teacher. We both love it. :)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    Shaeley MaeShaeley Mae Posts: 1,731
    edited November -1
    Call Center manager in the alcohol industry (we wholesale and distribute beer/wine/spirits to everyone who retails it -- liquor stores, grocery stores, restaurants, airlines, night clubs, gas stations, .... you name it).

Aside from our peak season being during the Fall (no vacation time for Thanksgiving, Christmas), it's a pretty great job and provides well for me and my kiddos. The "perks" are pretty good too ;)
    IMG_0408-rs.jpgIMG_7844-rs.jpg
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    ANNERBONES!!! you're PREGNANT?!!! :)
  • Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Yep!
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    GaBeekeeperGaBeekeeper Posts: 916
    edited November -1
    I am the Property Manager of rental property that DW owns and I am also the Assistant Executive Director of our local LGBT Pride organization (volunteer job). I am able to work from home so I really like being so flexible.
    DW is a commercial beekeeper with over 500 hives of bees. She has done that her entire life and she loves it.
    pqkom4.png
    FxZxm4.pngcarousel_zps296ade6d.jpg
  • Options
    KKF13KKF13 Posts: 269
    edited November -1
    Wow- so many people in careers caring for others! I am a special education teacher for k-5 students specializing in children with autism. I love my job! I just have to try to go home at the end of the day and leave it at school....
    tt10f84e.aspx
  • Options
    ChrysanthemumChrysanthemum Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    njmomma wrote:
    I am a psychiatric nurse. Nurses tend either to hate psychiatry, or to love it. I happend to be one of those who loves it. I like my job, cause there is never a boring day when I am working.

I was a psych nurse for years, loved it. I was attacked a few times by pts and decided when I got my bfp to make a change now I am resource, I do med/surge/tele/ icu/ccu and peds. Every once in a while I'll also pick up a shift at the prison but I don't like it, they pat same day though.
    I think in about a yr I'm going to go back and work on my MSN and be a nurse practitioner.
    DH is a retail bank manager.