Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

It's been a while: What do you do? What is your occupation?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I was a paralegal for a bankruptcy law firm, wasn't really my thing, I mean who wants to stress about other people's financial problems. I was good at it because I worked hard at remembering the laws and how things worked with the Bankruptcy Court in my district but was so relieved when Ali said it was ok for me to take maternity leave (quit) at 30 weeks pregnant last June. I have been a SAHM for the most part and a full time student. I am working on becoming a Sonographer. When I was pregnant I discovered my "calling". I won't graduate until July 2014 so until then I will continue being a SAHM and student. I clean Ali's office and her parents house once a week for a little extra cash. Ali is an accountant/office manager for her family's electrical company. Her grandfather started the business out of his garage in the 60's (I think) and it has grown into a multi-million dollar company that her dad owns. We are very fortunate that she works for her dad because it gives us a lot of flexibility that most families do not have. We plan to move as soon as I graduate so she will be leaving her kick ass job behind for a more gay friendly area.
  • Options
    cptncrbcptncrb Posts: 113
    edited November -1
    I just graduated from school with my Bachelors. I switched careers and will be look for a teaching job teaching High school or middle school English when we move to Houston. DP is in the call center industry.
    Cina, Kim, Mark & Jackson
  • Options
    summerfunsummerfun Posts: 511
    edited November -1
    I had fun reading what everyone does. I am a kindergarten teacher - love it! Every year I have kindergarteners tell me I should have my own kids --- working on it. ;)
    e4d5a024-bfbe-4943-a743-499ff97816a8_zps27bdb2c2.jpg
    Ho0Am5.png
  • Options
    LbakerLbaker Posts: 234
    edited November -1
    I teach first grade and DW teaches kindergarten, at the same school.
    4470a244-b3a2-4de4-ae57-11b81542c124_zpsdcbfdc20.jpg2ec06ca7-63d1-40da-a28d-1cb24fa3c150_zps63478b0d.jpg
    KrIUm5.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I work at two different elementary schools as their technology integrationist and computer teacher. My position has changed dramatically in the past few years due to school consolidation, a new superintendent, two new principals, and a new tech supervisor . . . so I'm looking for a change with something closer to home to cut down on the 90-minute daily commute. I'd like to get back into the classroom as a regular teacher or English/LA/SS teacher, but competition is stiff around here (typically 100-150 applicants per position) and I've been out of the traditional classroom for 9 years now.

I'd like to start my PhD once Justin & Juliet are in school so that I can teach English or Psychology at the college level. The only problem is that my Bachelor's is in science, and most accredited PhD programs want a BA and not BS for those areas. And my Master's is in Computer Technology Education, so that doesn't help!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    indigoscotindigoscot Posts: 246
    edited November -1
    I am a senior level IT professional and have worked in IT for 22 years!! I love it and truly believe it is the ideal career for me. :). I support middleware like Weblogic and TIBCO plus developers, hardware and operating systems Solaris and RHEL.

Until becoming a SAHM at the beginning of the year dp was in architecture.

g
    nirim4.png
    onmFm5.png
    tMYCm5.png
  • Options
    cocobaycocobay Posts: 1,318
    edited November -1
    I would just like to say that we have some very successful ladies here :)
  • Options
    cocolibbycocolibby Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    I'm a full time nursing a student and SAHM, before that I was a veterinary hospital manager for 7 years. My wife is an R.N. who is the hospital supervisor for weekend nights. She likes being a nurse for the amount it pays and the portability of the profession, but there are things she would enjoy more. At least she only works 3 days a week, so she has a great deal of free time to pursue her other interests.
  • Options
    blossomblossom Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    I am a Toddler Teacher at one of our local High Schools. The Child Care Center is for Teen Parent's children as well as children of any School District Employee. We care for only Infants and Toddlers, once children turn 3 they graduate from our program. I love working with the youngest children and watching them meet each milestone. Also my partnership with helping parents with challenges, and problem solving with them is very rewarding. Sometimes my teen parents can be challenging, but I do love what I do.

Whenever we are finally blessed with our own child, I hope to do in-home Infant and Toddler Care. After all these years of trying to get pregnant, I can't possibly imagine dropping my child off for someone else to take care of, while caring for other people's children. But that's just my pet peeve. :)

My hubby works for a small company and works in the warehouse, drives, works in the office and is the main go to guy for their customers. While the company is small, it is very good to their employees!

Love reading everyone's response, great topic!!!
    Trying to conceive since March 2007---our dream came true May 28th, 2013!!!
    eNortjKzUjIyMDC1MFayBlwwFWUCzw,,84.png
  • Options
    lolabellolabel Posts: 99
    edited November -1
    I'm a college English prof., (which, like most of my colleagues, means writer who needs to make actual money...) I never meant to be one, but I've been lecturing for 20+ years now.
    Mother to a 4 year old who has changed my whole world for the better!
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I am an Oncology Nurse. I have been doing this for 12 years. I am half way in administration and half a floor RN. I enjoy the admin part, but I don't want a full time job in it because of all the added responsibilities and stress. Once the kids are a little older I may re-think that. I am lucky that I have some flexibility with my hours and schedule and for the most part I've been flex my hours depending on the kids needs.

Since the twins were born, I mostly only work part time hours, but now that everyone is getting older I am slowly getting back into full time status.

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't quit...but I definitely wouldn't work as much. As much as I love my job, I would rather be home.
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg