Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Can't decide if I should switch to another sperm bank

txmama28txmama28 Posts: 20
edited December 2015 in Trying to Conceive
Hi my name is coretta and I signed up a month ago. I posted a question weeks ago about choosing a donor, but I'm still torn. I wanted to use NW because of price and no Dr required. I wanted to buy vials from someone whenever I do ttc but with price increase of transfer fee I'm not sure. I just wish nw had more variety of donors to choose from than I wouldn't so conflicted.I was looking into a lesbian owned sperm bank pacific reproductive services they have variety of donors but do require Dr signeture and cost a little more. But it's within budget thankfully.. Ladies I'm just so torn as I have my heart set on ttc at home but I really want more donors to choose from to my liking. Any advice is appreciated. As with anything I prayed on this and I'm really undecided. I hope all of you receive little miracles soon god bless

Comments

• Options
    New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    Look into buying from someone in the next few days the fee is still 75 have you checked to see what is out there
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • Options
    FutureSMBCFutureSMBC Posts: 1,018
    edited November -1
    If you're going with a sperm bank that requires doctor's authorization, you might want to talk to your doctor first as they usually have their own they can offer you. Some of those banks require high subscription fees that your doctor might've already paid for so they'll give you access at the office.

As for choosing one at NW, it's really up to you. I understand wanting more variety and if the few vials I have left won't do the trick, I might be looking outside NW.
    There's a couple new donors coming up. The trick with NW is that the vials might not be available right now but they will in a couple of months and you just have to set up that alert and wait. Once they come available, you must act quickly and buy as many as possible.

Best of luck, choosing a donor can be a little stressful but you will find that one (or two) that feels right.
    tt1d429d
    TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
    July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI- BFN
    Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt, Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Dr only works with california cryobank and fairfax. I'm pray on it and think things over more
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited December 2015
    The #1 reason I chose NW was the no dr. required. If you have to go through a dr. it would easily eat up any savings another bank would give you. I liked having that option of AI at home. The only thing I wish NW had over the years was a wider variety of donors other than Caucasian donors. I have worked with NW for 8 yrs. they have been so reliable and customer service has been great. Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    old mama wrote:
    The #1 reason I chose NW was the no dr. required. If you have to go through a dr. it would easily eat up any savings another bank would give you. I liked having that option of AI at home. The only thing I wish NW had over the years was a wider variety of donors other than Caucasian donors. I have worked with NW for 8 yrs. they have been so reliable and customer service has been great. Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do.
    Old mama thanks your advice was simple and very helpful. I really want to inseminate at home. And I don't want a Dr consent. You are very right I just got side tracked by the variety of donors other banks have. I want a child but in a affordable way. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I agree with the no dr need. thats why I stayed here. 2 was the lower fees. they did not have the exact donors I wanted but they had one and so thats who I stuck with :)
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, even with the higher change fee, the cost of vials would likely be less than other banks (depending on what the seller is asking -- I realize some may charge more if it's a popular donor). For me, the lower cost meant I could afford more tries. I did ultimately end up needing to use an RE, but I think having 4 unsuccessful at-home tries made me feel better about taking that step.
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    txmama28 wrote:
    My Dr only works with california cryobank and fairfax. I'm pray on it and think things over more
    Their prices are also increasing in Jan as I looked at an alternate bank a few weeks ago. NW has been very helpful and courteous in answering questions and concerns I have gad. Good luck
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    Mommy2016Mommy2016 Posts: 1,037
    edited November -1
    I chose NW because of the option to do this without a doctor. Also, the cost was much less than any other bank I found. Even with the rate increase, it is still cheaper. Now that I am using an RE, I am still here because the office had NW on their list as well.

I know the donor options are slim. I wanted someone rH- because it was recommended to me to go that way by the RE, but there were only 3 to choose from. I finally just went with one of them because the donor isn't as important to me. I know it is very important to some.

Good luck with whatever you decide. This process is difficult, and you definitely need to go with whatever makes you the most comfortable.
    Luca Gabriel was born 10/25/17 at 34 weeks, due to PROM. He's healthy and perfect! I'm in love!
    5/2015-BFN 6/2015-Chemical 8/2015-BFN 10/2015-BFN 12/2015-BFP (miscarriage)
    2/2016-BFN 4/2016-BFN 7/2016-BFN 10/2016-BFN 11/2016-BFN 12/2016-BFN 3/2017-BFP!!!
    IXn6m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank u all ladies as with anything I will pray over my choice. I will post in a week or so and let everyone know what i decided thank you all again
  • Options
    ljimpey86ljimpey86 Posts: 387
    edited November -1
    I decided to go with NorthWest due to the lower cost and the fact that you don't need a doctors signature. Fertility wise I do not have any issues, but my DH does not make any sperm. We wanted to AI at home. After going to a doctors appointment and having a horrible experience, the doctor explained to both of us how a women gets pregnant, and he also told us that if we did AI at home that I would DIE, we were even more set on doing it at home. I found this website and the wealth of information that everyone has to offer. We just wanted to conceive at home, in our own bed like a "normal" couple. I got pregnant at home in the second month of TTC. I can't say enough good things about NW.
    Wife to DH with hypopitutarism and azoospermia
    TTC~
    Try #1 ICI 8/15 -BFN
    Try #2 ICI & IUI 9/15 -BFP!

Abbigail Helen born 6/5/2016 7lb6oz
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    When I admitted to my GP who was actually the one helping me with basic fertility drugs and would order any ultrasounds ect. I wanted to do that I was buying sperm on line..he was shocked. He had never heard of that before. I showed him how it was licensed and hundreds of women have conceived this way he was for it. Honestly, I had never heard you could do it either until I watched that reality special about the women--living as a man---who got PG because his female partner could not carry a baby. I have felt good working with NW all this time. I am glad you made this decision. Good Luck.