Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Edema at 27 weeks

Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I am finding myself with some pitting edema of my lower extremities/ feet that just started in the last week or so. It's a bit alarming, although I know that swelling is normal in pregnancy. My hands are affected, too, but I'm not really sure how much of that is the carpal tunnel syndrome I am experiencing in my hands. This pregnancy is more challenging than my last one, I must say! :-) But of course, that was 19 years, so I guess that's to be expected. I was 20 when I delivered my son and I will 40 when I deliver this baby.

Anyway, I am wondering if you guys think it warrants a call to my OB? I don't want to bother them, but if I should get checked out just in case, I suppose I need to know that. I could just wait to see if other symptoms develop, however. I am more curious right now than seriously concerned, so I was just wondering how you other ladies handled things.

TIA! :-)

Comments

• Options
    annerbonesannerbones Posts: 1,812
    edited November -1
    Yes, call!!! I didn't start having that kind of swelling until the week before I delivered.
    raF7m7.png
    Progesterone therapy and baby aspirin daily

Two miscarriages in between (August 2012 - same donor as Maggie, and December 2014 with husband)
    Maggie
    PNa0m7.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I would get your blood pressure checked as well, even if it's just at a local pharmacy. I started taking on water about a month before I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and kept complaining about it. I'm not sure if the two are related in any way, but I thought they were.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited November -1
    Right around 30 weeks I had some serious edema (3+) and fingerprints would indent in my shins for up to a minute! My doc just monitored me and my BP...altho I did get put on light duty at work about that time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your input, ladies. I went ahead and emailed my doctor, but I am sure I won't hear back until Monday. I am going to give it a little thought, and maybe call the OB advice RN and see what they recommend. I am actually at the hospital right now (where I work), so I could scoot over there for a quick BP check, if they think it would be a good idea.

Thanks again! :-)
  • Options
    yfnryfnr Posts: 418
    edited November -1
    I would call, but I started swelling early with M. I didn't have ANY swelling at all with the twins. With M I started around 18 weeks. I kept the pitting edema until delivery but NEVER had a problem with BP or eclampsia. Obviously something to keep an eye on, but nothing that automatically means something is wrong :)
    Jamie
    Mommy to Twins plus One - donor 733
    DSC08654_zps76947225.jpg
  • Options
    jodyjody Posts: 152
    edited November -1
    I would get it checked!!!
    607-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    At 6 months, my feet would swell across the day and then if I kept them elevated in the evening and at night, go back to almost-normal by morning. By 8 months normal was over. The water balloon feet were there to stay. All by itself edema is not a real worry. But this, in combination with high BP, and protein in your urine are the warning signs of pre-ecclampsia. My doctor checked my BP and urine every visit. Yours should want to do the same. If anything's off, he'll monitor you more closely or maybe give meds to keep BP in normal range.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi ladies. Well, I elevated my feet all night after work yesterday, and they look better today. I think I am going to echo Zen's story, ultimately, though! :-) Since I otherwise feel alright, I think I'll wait until my next appointment (unless of course, my OB suggests I come in for a quick check). I'm sure it's all just the wonderful, normal side effects of pregnancy! :-)